Herman's Auto completes most services in-house. If we can't provide a specific service in our own garage, we will transport your vehicle to an approved partner facility for the repairs and bring it back to our shop for pickup. Our partner facilities employ technicians with top quality experience. We only deal with facilities that can deliver the same quality workmanship and customer service that Herman's Auto takes pride in. Listed below are some common services that you may need for your vehicle.
- Emission Tests
- Oil Changes
- Air Conditioning
Certified Emissions Testing
Emission testing is mandated by the Ontario government through the Ontario Drive Clean Program. We are certified to perform the required emissions testing and can complete any repairs necessary to make your vehicle compliant. As an Accredited Test and Repair Center we are obliged by law to meet the following:
- We must have computerized, tamper-proof equipment approved for the Drive Clean program and our equipment must be regularly calibrated to ensure its accuracy.
- Your vehicle test results are compared with emissions standards set for all vehicles of the same particular year and model. All results are recorded in a central database, to facilitate monitoring and auditing of test results.
- All certified inspectors performing the tests and repair technicians are monitored continuously for expected pass/fail rate and irregularities.
- Herman's Auto facilities is audited and inspected to ensure we follow proper testing and repair procedures.
Visit our Resources page to find valuable information about the Ontario Clean Air Program and Accredited Test and Repair facilities.
Oil, Lube and Filter
Regular oil and filter changes are crucial for your car's optimal performance. Clogged air filters can lead to poor fuel economy and dirty oil leaves deposits and sludge in hoses and engine parts. The industry recommendations for regular oil, lube and filter checkups are every 4800 kms but also depend on the type of driving you typically do. If you do a lot of stop and go city driving, chances are you will need oil changes more frequently. We can help determine how often you require this service for your vehicle.
Our typical oil, lube and filter service includes:
- Drain and replace motor oil
- Replace the oil filter with every oil change and check the air filter to see if it requires changing.
- We only change it if it needs to be changed
- Lubricate oil system and fittings (older cars or replaced parts)
- Check all fluid levels
- Check for engine leakage
- Check for loose or worn belts
- Check for leaks or wear and tear in hoses
- Visual check of full undercarriage of your vehicle
If your vehicle's air conditioning system is not blowing cold, chances are it is low on refrigerant, the fluid/gas in the system. Theoretically it is a sealed system and should never have to be recharged therefore it means that your system has a leak. Environmentally there are regulations that prohibit us from simply recharging the system without detecting and repairing the leaks. If the leak is minor and undetectable, we are able to recharge but we will add a dye to the system. The next time you bring your vehicle into the shop we will use a UV light to detect the leaks and take measures to repair them.
When do you need service?
- A/C system doesn't cool vehicle or blows hot air
- Fan/blower does not work when set in A/C mode or is very loud
- Vehicle stalls or idles roughly when A/C is turned on
- Unusual odors come from interior vents
- A/C unit has not been serviced in a long time
- Windows fog when defroster is turned on
Keeping your brakes properly calibrated and serviced could save you money and could even save your life. You know best how your brakes typically feel and sound. At the first sign that something just doesn't feel or sound right, you should bring your vehicle in to get checked.
When do you need service?
- Grinding or screeching noise. Urgent care is needed. This means that your pads are worn completely and there is metal to metal contact
- Your brakes do not feel the same as usual when applied or if the pedal "sinks" toward the floor. Your brake fluid may be low
- A clear type fluid similar to motor oil anywhere underneath your vehicle from the front to the back. Your brake hoses may be leaking
- Your vehicle is pulling to one side
- You feel a vibration when applying the brakes
Herman's Auto will replace tires, complete tire rotations, educate you on proper tire inflation, advise you when to replace your tires and how to get the most out of the tires you have. Properly inflated tires regularly rotated can help you save money on gas mileage or tire replacement costs and help ensure that the only things keeping you on the road will keep you there safely.
When do you need service?
- Your vehicle is pulling to one direction
- Tires frequently need air
- Worn Tread
- Poor traction
- Poor braking
Visit our Resources page to find valuable information about tire safety, including tips on checking your tires for common visual problems and what to look for when you need new tires.